Closer to Free Ride 2016
Last year, 1,125 riders raised $2.2 million for Smilow Cancer Center at Yale New Haven Hospital. This year, we are looking to grow our team, Team Tommy Fund, by doubling the amount of people who ride and increase the amount of money that we raise. Last year the team raised $30,000.
Let’s show everyone that Team Tommy Fund can have many more riders and sponsors in 2016. Remember, every dollar raised goes directly to patient care and advanced research.
Here are some great reasons to ride:
• You can ride 10 miles (NEW), 25 miles, 62.5 miles or 100 miles around New Haven County.
• Veteran road bike racer George Hincapi will be riding everyone out.
• The Ride Closer to Free team knows where each rider is at all times. That means they will fix your flats and provide you with nourishment and necessities along the route.
• Ride Closer to Free/Team Tommy Fund would love your friends from New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Massachusetts to ride with us. Everyone from any state is welcome.
• If you raise $750, you will be invited to a post-ride party in November.
• If you raise $1,000, not only are you invited to the party, you don’t have to register that morning. Everything you will need for that day, including your custom Hincapi Ride Closer to Free cycling jersey, will be mailed to you.
• Volunteers can help you fundraise. Throw a house party where the Ride Closer to Free video will be screened. Not only will more people sponsor your ride, many will be moved to ride themselves. There’s also plenty of help in reaching each rider’s goal of $500. The average rider raises more than $1,100.
• Limited loaner bikes are available at Zane’s and Devil’s Gear.
• Kids will be entertained at the Kid’s Zone, starting at 11:00 a.m., where they can have fun in a Bounce House, get their faces painted, run through an obstacle course and so much more.
• New in 2016 -- Food Truck Village. Bikers will also be treated to a complimentary post-ride massage, live entertainment, a beer garden, a finish line festival, and pre-ride coaching and training rides.
Ride Closer to Free/Team Tommy Fund bike ride is a great way of extending summer fun. You can have a very memorable day while raising money for fighting cancer at Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale New Haven Hospital. If everyone from last year rides and brings a friend, we can double Team Tommy Fund’s donation to $60,000 or more.
Why He Rides for Closer to Free/Team Tommy Fund
This year, Jeremy Soboleski will get on his bike for the fourth time for the annual Ride Closer to Free/Team Tommy Fund to benefit Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale New Haven. This year’s ride on Saturday, September 10 throughout New Haven County will be another wonderful, but emotional, experience for him.
“When you ride the first time you’re going to cry when you pass the hospital,” recalls Soboleski. “You roll out of the Yale Bowl right past Smilow. There are kids with IV drips and people saying thank you. It makes you realize why you’re doing it. Kids, adults, nurses – you’ll cry, it’s pretty tough. When you have a connection to someone who’s fighting, it’s even harder. It’s a great ride, well run, and it raises a good amount of money for a good cause. It’s the highlight of my September,” he adds.
Soboleski, 40, usually rides with his wife, Amye. He first started on Team Tommy Fund when he lost his best friend to cancer at 37 in August, the month before the ride. He and Amye ride 100 miles each year.
Soboleski is a partner and vice president at Ivory Wealth Management in Essex. He was introduced to Team Tommy Fund because his firm managed the team’s assets. This year he will be riding for Ralph DeLuca, another friend who has cancer.
Thank you, Jeremy.